Maggie's Pickleball Journey
Maggie picked up her first racquet at just 2 years old and has been on one court or another since. She attended Western Michigan University on a full scholarship where she competed on the varsity tennis team for 4 years. She graduated with a degree in Biology and Chemistry. A few years after graduation she moved to Rochester, NY to attend grad school and coach tennis as the assistant tennis coach for the University of Rochester's men's and women's teams.
In addition to grad school and coaching at U of R, Maggie also coached tennis at Midtown Athletic Club in Rochester. While working there, she met her now husband, Ken. Maggie graduated from Simon Business School in 2018 with her MBA with concentrations in Computer Information Systems and Business Analytics. She currently works full-time in the TechEd space at DataCamp as the Vice President of Data Curriculum.
In the summer of 2017, Maggie's sister, Andrea Koop, introduced her to pickleball. Soon after picking up the sport, she entered the competition scene. Since joining the sport she has medaled at over 50 pro-level events across women's and mixed doubles. She introduced pickleball to Midtown Athletic Club in the winter of 2018 and has been coaching part-time ever since. She has consulted on pickleball curriculum for numerous country clubs, individuals, and pickleball clubs. Some of her competitive highlights include:
- 2018 US Open Women's Pro Bronze Medal
- 2019 & 2021 Pittsburgh Gamma Classic Women's & Mixed Gold Medal
- 2020 Toronto Open Women's & Mixed Gold Medal
- 2020 APP Cincinnati Open Women's Gold Medal
- 2021 APP New Jersey Open Women's Gold Medal
- 2021 World Pickleball Open Women's Silver Medal
- 2022 APP Delray Beach Open Women's Silver Medal
- 2022 Major League Pickleball Austin Stop 2nd Place
Maggie is currently ranked in the top 15 on the APP tour and regularly competes in tournaments.